Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Being Proactive

It is February 21 2018, and the word of the day is PROACTIVE.

According to Mirriam-Webster, it is "acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes"


This word has been lingering throughout the day, for two very different reasons, both on big and small scales.  


I will star the small scale first.  


I have been on vacation since last Friday.  It has been great, and I have been pretty relaxed.  A little...too relaxed.  I have had a list of things on my to-do list for maybe a month that were just such a pain in my but I haven't.  That is, going to the dentist, making a phone call to my bank to open my online account and oh APPLYING FOR MY SPEECH LICENSE.  My speech license, something that I need in order to be successful and efficient in my field of education, and I am just applying for it.


I have been out of college since August and my speech license has been hanging over my head.  now, that was months ago that I should have done it, but I am about as slow as a sloth.  Or a glacier.  


As I got all this done in one afternoon, I asked myself "Kels, why didn't you do this earlier?"  I cannot answer that question because I do not know.


The idea of being a procrastinator and being proactive all comes down to the basic idea that we are avoiding something that we don't want to do.  Even if it is something that is good for us.  


Now it comes to the big scale.  I don't want to get into such a controversial idea, but in order to implement my faith into action. 2 Thessalonians 3:10 says "For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."  If anyone is to ignore their duties should be held accountable.  


What am I getting at?  I'm getting at what we need to do to be proactive about keeping our kids safe.  As someone who works in schools, it's mind-blowing that we are having this conversation 5 years after Sandy Hook and 20 years after Columbine.  It hurts my heart to see that these grown adults who were not proactive about gun control are choosing not to protect children and innocent lives.  


I, by ignoring the problem, just kick myself later when the deadline is coming up and I am under complete stress.  However, when lives are being lost due to people not choosing to be proactive, well thats incredibly disappointing.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Being Proactive

I t is February 21 2018, and the word of the day is PROACTIVE . According to Mirriam-Webster, it is " acting in anticipation of futur...